Crash Deception
By Crazy Taxi (Group 9)

     Crash Deception is a simulation racing game for new drivers of all ages (recommended ages 16 - 21) about Texting and Driving where each player attempts to prove their superiority on the TextPad. By memorizing and typing nonsensical phrases into your phone you’ll speed ahead of your opponent and win the game!

    In the end, I would say that Crash Deception was a very simple game to make, and because of its simplicity, there weren’t many problems with the making the physical game. The two really basic parts of the game that were needed was a game board, and cards. Aside from being a little less than pleased with how the game board’s visual style turned out there really was no issue with either of them. Although that’s where the problem really comes into play, what I realized too late into the development process is that the two of us in the group were working individually on the same project. Essentially what I mean is that there was not a lot of collaboration between the two of us. In the end, it, made the game feel really conflicting with itself. As if on one hand it’s trying to be happy-go-lucky and on the other hand a serious game about why you shouldn’t text and drive.
    So I could go on a small little rant here about this and that and why I think my game was bad, but I’d rather just present solutions to the problem. What I believe could have really helped is if we were simply more involved with each other throughout the creation process. All that was discussed between us were the foundations of each piece of the game. For instance what we decided together on the matter of the bard were things like how many spaces it would have, and where the two players would start. Because of that once the board was made it left the creative style solely to the person making it. You can easily tell the difference between the board, which was hand drawn out in pencil on two pieces of lined paper, and the cards which had been meticulously typed and printed out to be the exact dimensions of an actual playing card. 

     You could also make the case that if we had simply been more compatible as people then it would have been better because things would have naturally lined up between us more. Although the thing is not everybody you work with is always going to be on the same page as you so it’s just one of those things you have to learn to live with when you’re working on a group project. Sometimes you’re just placed with people who don’t really do the work, or just don’t really care about it in whole. Now I’m not saying that my partner did either of those, but I definitely have had partners like that before. So it really puts the extra responsibility of reaching out and genuinely trying to make a connection between their partner and their project.

     In the future, there is one major thing that I will change about my development process. Before my partner and I even start making the project, I’d like to get to know them first. Go to lunch, or even just grab a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Anything so that before we start worrying about the game and what it’s going to be, we’ll be more comfortable around each other and more aware of what the other person is like. After experiencing what this last project was like, I honestly think that it's an extremely crucial step in the development process.

Comments